Car Insurance Checklist
South African roads can be a hazard to drive on, and unfortunately theft and hijackings are a reality. Make sure that you do not suffer loss or damage to your vehicle without reliable motor insurance.
Car Insurance Essentials:
- Make sure you know/have all details about your vehicle handy; model, registration number, security, value
- Car insurance targeting your specific age group, gender or profession might save you money.
- What added benefits can you get from a car insurance policy? Does the policy include a courtesy car, lock repairs or breakdown assistance? Are the contents of your car insured?
- You may be able to save money by insuring your household contents and vehicle with the same insurance company. Ask your insurer or broker. Enquire about a reduced premium for insuring multiple vehicles.
- Investigate the cost of motor insurance premiums before purchasing a new car. Different vehicle models are assessed differently. You can save money by purchasing a car that is cheaper to insure.
- Remember, if your car is old and has decreased in value, it may be sensible to only take third party car insurance. Third party insurance is essential: It doesn’t matter how old your car is, if you crash into a new model Porsche, you’re going to need motor insurance.
- Make sure to find out how many claims you can make on your insurance policy, especially if you are prone to accidents.
- Under what circumstances is your car insured? Does the insurer cover break-ins? Always read the fine print before signing anything.
- Your insurer will probably give you more competitive car insurance premiums if your vehicle is parked in a safe place. Ask your insurer what security measures will reduce your motor insurance premium. Satellite tracking and vehicle anti-theft devices can lower your premium.
- There are different car insurance policies available for different purposes. Make sure you know what kind of coverage you need – business, domestic or other.
- Research a variety of insurance companies and policies in South Africa before choosing which policy is best for you and your vehicle.
Before taking out insurance on your car, get a number of quotes from different insurers. Your decision should not be based on price alone. Ensure that you choose a motor insurance policy from a reputable insurer and that you get the correct level of insurance cover to ensure that, in the event of theft or an accident, you will be protected.